Temporary classrooms arriving in Tumbler Ridge

New temporary classroom trailers are on their way for students in Tumbler Ridge, according to the Ministry of Education and Child Care.

School District No. 59 said Friday students will not be expected to return to the town’s high school building, where six of eight deceased victims were found after last week’s deadly mass shooting.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO 1130 NEWSRADIO VANCOUVER LIVE!

The first facilities to arrive will be bathroom trailers, expected Monday, followed by several single-wide classroom trailers arriving Tuesday and Wednesday. A total of 14 units are expected. In the coming weeks, a more permanent space, using larger, double-wide trailers, will be constructed.

The units will be set up on the same grounds as Tumbler Ridge Elementary School.

“We know routine and community are important to many in the aftermath of a tragedy, and we know change can cause uncertainty,” said Peace River South School Board chair Chad Anderson.

“We are continuing to use a compassionate, trauma-informed approach that includes providing updates to the school community, families, and the public about a planned return to school in the coming days. As we prepare to restart classes, the safety and wellness of students, staff, and the whole school community continue to guide everything we do.”

A date has not been set for classes to resume. The ministry says it will take several days to set up the trailers for water and heating and to furnish them.

The school district and province say they will provide parents, students, and staff with regular updates.

More From Vancouver Chronicles