Tumbler Ridge students not expected to return to school following mass shooting

In the aftermath of the deadly mass shooting at Tumbler Ridge Secondary last week, the school district says it doesn’t expect students to return to the building.

Six of the eight deceased victims, and the shooter, were discovered in the school building Tuesday afternoon. It was quickly evacuated of roughly 100 more people, including injured victims, students, and staff.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO 1130 NEWSRADIO VANCOUVER LIVE!

In an update Monday, the BC RCMP said its investigation at the building had concluded, and the school has been turned back over to the district.

But on Friday, Superintendent Christy Fennell said School District No. 59 does not intend to send students back soon, instead prioritizing “emotional and physical safety through a trauma-informed lens.”

In a letter to families, Fennell said while some may want to return to the stability of school routines, some may not be ready.

“As we create our plans, the expectation is that we will not be returning to the current high school site,” said Fennell.

B.C. Premier David Eby also says students would not be forced to return.

The school district also emphasized the need for continued discussion of healthy coping mechanisms with children, and reminded residents of the support available at the recreation centre, open daily from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

—With files from The Canadian Press

More From Vancouver Chronicles