‘It’s eerie’: Summerland residents are returning to their homes — or what’s left of them

‘It’s eerie’: Summerland residents are returning to their homes — or what’s left of them

‘I know that for some others in Summerland, they will go home to nothing,’ said one resident as the main firefight is now shifting into forested areas northwest of the community

Author of the article:

By Sarah Grochowski

Published Aug 15, 2026

Last updated 1 day ago

3 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

Erin Trainer returned to Summerland’s Trout Creek neighbourhood Saturday following nearly a week under an evacuation order. Photo by Erin Trainer
Article content

When Erin Trainer returned to her Summerland home Saturday afternoon, the Bald Range wildfire left its mark on her property in Trout Creek.

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Unlimited online access to articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Get exclusive access to the Vancouver Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on.
  • Enjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalists.
  • Support local journalists and the next generation of journalists.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Unlimited online access to articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Get exclusive access to the Vancouver Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on.
  • Enjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalists.
  • Support local journalists and the next generation of journalists.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or View more offers

Article content

Ash was settled on her deck. Burnt tree pieces and pine needles were scattered throughout the yard and a black film coated surfaces.

Article content

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.
Try refreshing your browser, or
tap here to see other videos from our team.
‘It’s eerie’: Summerland residents are returning to their homes — or what’s left of them Back to video

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.
Try refreshing your browser, or
tap here to see other videos from our team.
Article content

Inside, the smell of smoke lingered.

Article content

“It smells like campfire,” said Trainer, a Summerland city councillor and deputy mayor.

Article content
Article content

“It’s eerie,” Trainer said after she was able to bring her family home after the evacuation order for 400 properties in Trout Creek neighbourhood east of Highway 97 was downgraded to an alert Friday afternoon.

Article content
Article content

Trainer and her three children, dog, cat and hamster, were evacuated close to a week ago and had been staying with a friend in Okanagan Falls, just south of Summerland. Her husband, Erick Thompson, the community’s emergency operations centre commander, was working around the clock on the wildfire response.

Article content

“I’ve barely seen him,” she said.

Article content

Trainer was among the first Summerland residents allowed to return home as district officials began a phased approach to lifting evacuation orders.

Article content

Her return brought relief, but thick smoke was a stark reminder that Summerland’s wildfire emergency is far from over.

Article content

The Bald Range wildfire continues to burn out of control and has increased to 198 square kilometres. More than than 6,000 properties in the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen, District of Summerland and Snpink’tn Indian Band remain under evacuation order.

Article content
Article content
Ash and burnt tree pieces covered Erin Trainer’s deck in Summerland’s Trout Creek neighbourhood after she returned home Saturday following nearly a week under evacuation. Photo by Erin Trainer
Article content

It’s left residents anxious to learn what remains of their homes.

Article content
Read More
  1. Advertisement 1
    Story continues below
    This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

“You have this sense of guilt,” Trainer said. “I know that for some others in Summerland, they will go home to nothing.”

Article content

The main firefight is now shifting into forested areas northwest of Summerland, where extremely dry conditions are fuelling the blaze.

Article content

Hugh Murdoch, incident commander with the B.C. Wildfire Service, said in an update Friday that 320 firefighters, 114 structure protection personnel, 15 helicopters and 56 pieces of heavy equipment were assigned to the fire.

Article content

The South Okanagan has received just two millimetres of rain since July 1, leaving fuels exceptionally dry.

Article content

“That is a big challenge,” Murdoch said, noting the conditions are also contributing to heavy smoke across the region.

Article content

“That’s going to be a good firefight out in that area,” Murdoch said.

Article content
Bald Range Fire on Aug. 10. This summer’s catastrophic wildfires have destroyed communities, forced thousands to evacuate, and shrouded cities in toxic smoke. Photo by B.C. Wildfire Service /Government of B.C.
Article content

Smoke from the Bald Range and other fires has reduced visibility, making it difficult for helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft to operate.

Article content

Crews have had success reducing the fire perimeter closest to communities, Murdoch said, and continue to mop up remaining hotspots.

Advertisement 1
This advertisement has not loaded yet.
Advertisement 2
Advertisement
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

Part of the fire, particularly to the northwest, is spreading through more heavily forested terrain, where crews will concentrate their efforts in the coming days.

Article content

The operation is running around the clock, using direct and indirect firefighting strategies, small-scale ignitions, mop-up and patrols. Air tankers are also being used daily.

Article content

Trainer said she’s been fielding about 150 messages a day from Summerland residents with questions ranging from the wildfire response to the landfill and water. She has been forwarding questions to Thompson or Graham Statt, the district’s chief administrative officer.

Article content

In a livestream on the Regional District Okanagan Similkameen’s YouTube account Friday, Statt said that the first phase of re-entry went well, although he acknowledged it was not perfect.

Article content

“Our preference is to keep rolling with good enough, as long as the safety is perfect.”

Article content

Statt said officials are assessing damage and preparing the next phases of re-entry, but have not announced which neighbourhoods will be next.

Article content

“You can’t necessarily say it’s going to be this area as number two, because that area could expand or contract based on those factors on the ground,” he said.

Article content
Article content

Each area will have different re-entry requirements depending on the effects of the fire, utilities and infrastructure.

Article content

As of Saturday, there was no official count of how many homes have been lost to the wildfire.

Article content

Summerland Mayor Doug Holmes said in a livestream that most of Summerland has power and the sewage treatment plant — which had been shut down for about a week — is operating again. The municipality is also making arrangements to send waste to Campbell Mountain while the landfill remains on fire.

Article content

Holmes urged residents still under evacuation orders to be patient.

Article content

“Have just a little bit more patience,” he said. “The highway opened yesterday … the steps are going to come quicker and quicker.”

Article content

sgrochowski@postmedia.com

Article content
Share this article in your social network

More From Vancouver Chronicles