‘Disgust’: Head of RCMP union seeking answers for how CBC-related prank was greenlit

‘Disgust’: Head of RCMP union seeking answers for how CBC-related prank was greenlit

CBC reiterated that the show had been paused as it examines the footage, in light of concerns raised

Author of the article:

By Stephanie Taylor

Published May 21, 2026

Last updated 4 hours ago

4 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

President and CEO of National Police Federation, Brian Sauvé speaks during a National Police Federation event held at Sir John A. Macdonald building in Ottawa on Thursday, Feb. 26, 2026. Photo by HYUNGCHEOL PARK /Postmedia
Article content

OTTAWA — The head of the union representing RCMP members is seeking answers for how a CBC-related production was approved that targeted retired Mounties under the pretence of being celebrated for their service, but which ultimately turned out to be a prank.

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Unlimited online access to articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Get exclusive access to the Vancouver Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on.
  • Enjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalists.
  • Support local journalists and the next generation of journalists.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Unlimited online access to articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Get exclusive access to the Vancouver Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on.
  • Enjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalists.
  • Support local journalists and the next generation of journalists.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or View more offers

Article content

Brian Sauve, president of the National Police Federation, which represents roughly 20,000 current and former RCMP members, says he was recently contacted by a retired member who recounted having been approached by the program, saying he knows of others who were as well.

Article content
Article content
Article content

“We’re not talking about one or two to make it an issue,” Sauve says. “We’re talking about, you know, probably a dozen or more.”

Article content
Article content

“This is not a one-off scenario.”

Article content

The former member who contacted Sauve, who also detailed his experience in a YouTube video, says he was contacted back in January to take part in a series focused on how police officers transition to life after service.

Article content

The person says after taking part in a pre-interview he agreed to another interview in March, saying he was informed that he and other officers would be attending an event in Vancouver featuring Prince William to thank them for their service, adding he was instructed to wear his red serge.

Article content

It was during that event where the former officer says he realized it had all been a prank, as a fake video address was played about King Charles III announcing the dissolution of the RCMP as a result of the force’s historical dealings with First Nations.

Article content

“Disgust was my initial reaction,” Sauve said in an interview on Thursday.

Article content

“You’ve chosen a life of service to Canadians,” he says, “to be invited to celebrate that service, I think, is a matter of pride, a pat on the back, and you’re probably walking into that building thinking, ‘Oh, this is going to be great, we don’t actually get recognized enough.’”

Article content
Article content

“Then you get into a room and the whole thing turns on a 180 so you’re going from that emotional high to an extreme emotional low within 30 seconds… I think that’s where the disgust comes in.”

Article content
Read More
  1. Advertisement 1
    Story continues below
    This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

“It’s just not right,” he added.

Article content

As an institution, the RCMP has acknowledged the role it played during the operation of church-run government-funded residential schools, which thousands of Indigenous children were forced to attend and where there was widespread physical and sexual abuse. A 2011 report concluded that the RCMP would assist in removing children from their homes. Past commissioners have delivered apologies for the force’s role during the residential school system.

Article content

In a letter penned to Heritage Minister Marc Miller, whose department oversees CBC/Radio-Canada, as well as to the public broadcaster’s president, Marie-Philippe Bouchard, Sauve outlines that among the concerns he has about the targeting of RCMP veterans to participate in the prank-style show is that many former members live with undiagnosed trauma and distresses related to their service.

Advertisement 1
This advertisement has not loaded yet.
Advertisement 2
Advertisement
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

He says what came up from those who were either contacted or invited to participate was the experience added to their “ongoing issues.”

Article content

Sauve says he has been in contact with the RCMP Veterans’ Association who have been talking to veterans who have communicated “their displeasure with how this transpired.”

Article content

He expects the number for how many participated and were contacted to be higher than what has been shared in public as there is a sense of “embarrassment” in disclosing that one fell for such a prank.

Article content

Chuck Thompson, head of public affairs for CBC, confirmed in an email on Thursday that the broadcaster’s president had received the letter outlining the concerns of the RCMP union.

Article content

He reiterated that the show, which carried the working title of “Northland Tales,” had been paused as it examines its footage, in light of concerns raised.

Article content

Among those voicing concerns were academics who were contacted that have publicly questioned claims of unmarked graves found at the site of a former residential school in Kamloops, B.C., as well as Conservative politicians, who have since questioned why the CBC would back such a production.

Article content
Article content

Thompson underscored how CBC News and APTN News, “have no involvement in this production or prior knowledge of it.”

Article content

“It is important for us in the execution that this entertainment series does not negatively impact our news brand,” he wrote.

Article content

Thompson says that the show, “an Indigenous-led unscripted, half-hour comedy series in early production for CBC Entertainment and APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network), had first been pitched as part of the Banff World Media Festival back in 2024.

Article content

“CBC Entertainment joined APTN as a partner shortly thereafter. Social experiments and satirical prank shows are a long-established television format used by broadcasters and streamers around the world, including many public broadcasters,” he said.

Article content

“In this case, the Indigenous creators are using the format for Northland Tales. A form of comedy is being deployed to increase better understanding of historical injustices against Indigenous peoples and support truth and reconciliation in Canada.”

Article content

Sauve in his letter called for the footage captured never to air and an inquiry be conducted into the funding and approvals behind the production.

Article content
Article content

He also specifically asked Miller to outline steps his office may take to investigate the issue.

Article content

Reached for comment on Thursday, the minister’s office declined to do so.

Article content

“CBC/Radio-Canada and APTN operate independently. Questions regarding programming should be addressed directly to CBC/Radio-Canada and APTN,” spokeswoman Hermine Landry wrote.

Article content

With files from Jesse Snyder

Article content

National Post

Article content

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.

Article content
Share this article in your social network

More From Vancouver Chronicles